TIP: To make a stuffed pepper appetizer use mini sweet peppers instead of bell peppers and slice off the top 1/8” of each pepper lengthwise. Remove the seeds and fill each pepper with filling. Cook for 20 minutes, add remaining cheese and parsley and then cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Preheat barbecue to medium 375°F (190°C).
- In a large frying pan, crumble and sauté sausage over medium heat in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add celery and green onion and continue cooking while stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and rice. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Cut peppers lengthwise and remove stems and seeds.
- Mix cheese and parsley together. Add 2/3 of the cheese mixture to the meat mixture. Set the other 1/3 of the cheese mixture aside.
- Fill pepper halves evenly with meat mixture. Place the peppers in a BBQ safe baking dish and cook on the barbecue for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese mixture and parsley on top of the peppers and continue to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.