Brine The Turkey
Make the Coffee Rub
- In a large bowl, mix together the salt and water until the salt has dissolved. Add in bay leaves.
- Peel and gently crush (or roughly chop) the garlic and put it in the brine
- Add the turkey into the brine.
- Brine overnight in the fridge.
Make the Honey Butter Glaze
- Combine all the ingredients in the ‘Coffee Rub’ section of the ingredients and set aside.
Prepare the Turkey for Oven Roasting
- Melt the butter in a small pot or microwave. (If you use a microwave, heat it up in increments of 15 seconds so that it doesn’t splatter everywhere)
- Once the butter has melted or is soft, mix in the honey and soy sauce and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Remove the turkey thighs from the brine and pat it down with paper towels to remove the excess moisture and brine.
- Sprinkle the coffee rub over the top and bottoms of the turkey thigh and place the turkey in a oven-proof roasting pan. You can choose to rub the coffee rub into the turkey or sprinkle it evenly over the turkey in layer.
- Once the oven has reached 350F, add the turkey in and set a timer for 40 minutes.
- Once 40 minutes has passed and the timer is up, use a brush and dab the honey butter glaze over the turkey thighs. If the butter has separated, use a fork to mix everything together until it is a paste again – it doesn’t need to be smooth.
- Set the timer for 15 minutes and put the turkey thighs back in the oven to roast
- Once 15 minutes has passed, and the timer is up, dab the turkey thighs again with the remainder of the glaze
- Set the timer for 15 minutes and put the turkey back in the oven to roast.
- Once the timer is up, the turkey is done! It should have baked in the oven for a total of 70 minutes (1 hour and 10 minutes), and the internal temperature of the turkey should be at least 165 degrees.
(Optional) If you like sweet and savoury dishes, try brushing on a 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon of honey on top of the turkey after you have removed it from the oven!
Save the drippings and serve it with the turkey, and sprinkle it with some chives! Enjoy!