TIP : Large metal skewers can be purchased at any specialty kitchen stores. Note: there will be leftover turkey for use in sandwiches for the next day. We recommend 100gr of carved turkey per pita.
For the turkeys:
For the Pita:
- Remove neck and bag of offal’s from inside of turkey.
- Using sharp kitchen shears, cut out the backbone from the turkey
- With a sharp chef’s knife, cut through the turkey breast bone to separate the turkey into 2 halves. (note: steps 1-3 can be done by your local butcher upon request)
- Combine all ingredients for the brine and cook to dissolve salt. Cool brine to refrigerator temperature. This can be done overnight.
- Place both turkey halves in a deep dish or bowl and cover with brine. Allow turkey to brine overnight or min 8 hours.
- Preheat your grill to 350°F
- Remove turkey from brine and pat dry to remove all moisture.
- Generously sprinkle salt all over turkey.
- Pour pepper sauce all over turkey front and back.
- Drizzle turkey with olive oil on front and back.
- Cut onions in half and remove skin. Skewer ½ onion on skewer and push down to the handle. Skewer 1 pepper on the skewer and push down to meet the onion. Repeat with the other 3 skewers. Skewer half turkey with 1 metal skewers, inserting at the tip of the breast all the way through to the bottom of the leg. Repeat with another skewer 3 inches beside the other skewer. Test the stability of the bird by lifting both skewers simultaneously. Repeat with the other half of turkey
- Place turkeys skin side up on the grill with skewer handles sticking out on front edge of grill. Close the lid. (if using a grill without a lid, cover the turkeys with heavy gauge aluminum foil)
- After 1.5 hours, carefully flip turkeys to skin side down and cook turkeys for an additional 30 minutes to internal temperature 170°F.
- Remove turkeys from the grill and place on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Rest turkeys for 30 minutes before carving.
- Carve turkey into slices and place on a large platter with accompaniments.
For the yogurt dipping sauce and chilies:
- Brush pitas with olive oil on both sides.
- Grill pitas on both sides to golden brown.
- Place grilled pitas on a large platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Combine lemon zest and juice, chopped dill and yogurt. Season to taste with salt.
- Pour yogurt sauce into a serving bowl and place on platter with pitas.
- Spoon prepared pickled chilies into a serving bowl and place on platter with pitas and yogurt.