These patty melts are easy as can be and perfect for a weeknight meal. The kids can help make them by arranging their own sandwiches. If you make the patties in advance, they are even easier during the week! This would also be delicious with turkey breast meat or leftover turkey meat. For something a little different, try with pears and blue cheese!
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
- In a large bowl, mix together the turkey, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and chili powder (if using). Mix with your hands just until combined.
- Form into patties about hamburger sized (approx ½ cup/125 mL each) and flatten into a patty about the size of the bread you're using.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until sizzling.
- Add patties to pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden-brown and cooked through. Set onto a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess fat.
- Butter or oil the outsides of each slice of bread.
- Lay the bottom piece, oil/butter side down, top with a turkey patty, a few slices of cheddar and your apples.
- Place the other slice of bread, oil/butter side up, on top.
- Place the sandwiches on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Place another piece of foil on top and place another baking sheet over the sandwiches to press them down.
- Pop into your preheated oven for 5-6 minutes, flip the sandwiches and cook for another 7-8 minutes until both sides are golden-brown and cheese is melted. Slice in half and enjoy!