TIPS: For a flavour boost, use 2 lbs. ground turkey meat plus 2 turkey sausages, removed from casings. Once assembled, you can also freeze this recipe to have on hand to use at a later time.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Cook turkey over high heat to brown, stirring to break meat into chunks. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast panko in a non-stick pan over high heat until browned, 2-3 minutes.
At this point, all the ingredients for your mac and cheese are ready. Proceed to assemble or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Heat butter in a medium sized saucepan until melted. Warm milk separately and set aside. Add flour to melted butter and stir until mixture comes together to make a very thick paste. Cook until flour is toasted, 2 – 3 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add milk in slow increments until mixture thickens and comes to a low simmer. Do not boil. Blend with a hand blender to quickly remove any lumps.
- Add cheeses, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste stirring over medium heat, an additional 3-4 minutes, to a pancake batter consistency.
- Combine sauce, pasta and turkey meat in a large size oven-proof casserole dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Top with panko breadcrumbs and serve.